Friday, August 15, 2008

The benefits of Making your Own Bread

I just started making my own Bread and I love it. It is delicious and healthy for me and my family. It is actually more cost effective than buying a loaf of bread. I just bought a whole grain organic loaf of bread not to long ago for $4.99, you can definately bake a loaf for cheaper than that price! In store bought bread you can find unhealthy ingredients such as High Fructose Corn Syrup, Artificial flavors and colors and Preservatives. Homemade bread has none of these!

There are many healthful ingredients that you can add to your bread dough such as Flax (ground or seeds), wheat bran, wheat germ, honey, molasses and different types of flours. This makes making bread fun! You can make a different loaf every week. I recommend using Whole wheat flour instead of white flour. White flour lacks fiber and is usually bleached unlike whole wheat flour. Whole wheat flour also contains 4 grams of fiber per 1/4 cup.

Also Homemade breads makes the best Toast~! You will never want to go back to store bought bread. Here is a recipe below that I use that is awesome. I usually will make one loaf at a time, slice it and freeze it. When I want a piece of toast I just pop a piece in the toaster. It's as easy as that!

Here is an awesome and Easy Whole Wheat Bread Recipe from http://www.vegweb.com

Recipe submitted by JennaHutchins@hotmail.com

Easy and Decadent No-Knead Wheat Bread!

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

3 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup unrefined sugar (or other sweetener)
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 package dry yeast
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional, but *really* yummy!)
1 2/3 cup warm water

Directions:

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and add the water last. You can use an electric mixer, but I find a spoon works fine and is much easier to clean ;]

Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan and smooth out the top. Cover the dough with a towel or greased plastic wrap and let it rise for about and hour (until its doubled in size).

Bake in a 400° oven for about 45 minutes (until a toothpick comes out clean).

This is really a treat with a nice raspberry jam. Such a simple pleasure!

P.S. One can also add 1/3-1/2 cup raisins for a scrumptious cinnamon-raisin vegan bread…

4 comments:

Rosebud Collection said...

This sounds wonderful and I will try it..I enjoy making bread and like new recipes..especially quick ones..Thanks so much for posting this.

Jenni said...

I LOVE HOMEMADE BREAD. :-) My first job was in a bread store. I like Ezekiel Bread, too (in the frozen section at food stores), but there is really nothing like homemade bread.

Hana said...

I love homemade bread! My mom makes great sourdough! I might have to try this!

Kim Caro said...

my mom makes bread but mostly in the winter during x mas